ActiveSync no go on Vista and no USB

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:34 AM
Hi,

I have the first image loaded and can see the CE OS booting via the serial port (on a tweener board). The prorblem I have is that the hardware configuration I have (connex 400, netcf and tweener) has no USB port so I cannot get conncted to the device WMDC (no activesync as I am running Vista)

I have tried selecting 'use serial port' option in WMDC connection dialog but still no go. How can I get connected either via serial or ethernet to view the remote desktop via cerhost and to allow remote debugging and deployment from VS2005.

Thanks

Steve Hayles
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:06 PM
I have done ActiveSync over serial but its pretty ugly. Microsoft has pretty much abandoned this transport for ActiveSync.
You can run the CE remote desktop over just an Ethernet connection .. look at the registry setting in platform.reg under the display setting and you can probably figure it out.
The remote display just uses a TCP socket connection so it will run over Ethernet or the USB client RNDIS connection.
A much better solution is invest in a breakout-gs board ...there dirt cheap.
Nov 9, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Thanks so much for your response, I had hoped the ethernet was an option.

I will order a breakout-gs boards (I live in the UK and the freight is annoying!)

I think my confusion is in using the new WMDC in Vista as I cannot find anyway of using TCP/IP like there was in activesync.

I will get a board with USB but in the meantime if anyone has any idea how to get hooked up to the CE device via ethernet using the Windows MObile Device Centre I would really appreciate it