Flashing CE image to onboard Flash

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM
Hi,

I understand the process for loading the bootloader via Kermit from Hyperterminal and can see that booting from a CF card is fairly simple.

What is the easiest way of flashing the actual CE image to the onboard flash ??

I don't mind using a CF card, ethernet, or USB but would like to remove the need for the CF expansion board for instance; once the image has been loaded and the motherboard is bootable from its own flash image.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2007 at 5:47 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM

stevehayles wrote:
Hi,

I understand the process for loading the bootloader via Kermit from Hyperterminal and can see that booting from a CF card is fairly simple.

What is the easiest way of flashing the actual CE image to the onboard flash ??

I don't mind using a CF card, ethernet, or USB but would like to remove the need for the CF expansion board for instance; once the image has been loaded and the motherboard is bootable from its own flash image.

Thanks in advance

Steve

You can do this very easily. The best is to down load and flash via Ethernet (netCF,netMMC or EtherStix) using Platform Builder or the EShell utility. Then remove the Ethernet board, reboot and set the new hardware word (with out Ethernet support). Ethernet support is nice to have for OS development and debugging but is not required for final image if you are looking for the lowest cost setup.

Also remember you only have 16meg of flash so your image should not be bigger then ~14meg. Some of the big CE components can push you over this limit. Watch your image size.