Ethernet setup

Topics: Developer Forum
May 17, 2007 at 3:13 PM
I am having problems connecting to the device over ethernet, and am pretty sure I am missing something obvious.

What is the physical hardware setup?
I have connected the gumstix to the router itself, and successfully assigned it an IP.
In platform builder, I have set it to download to this IP.
I then set platform builder to connect and the gumstix to download from ethernet 1.
The gumstix then tries to download the image from 255.255.255.255, rather than what I need it to, 192.168.0.5, but I haven't seen where to set that anyway.

Am I doing something completely wrong? If so, please let me know.
Am I to connect the gumstix directly to the pc's ethernet using a crossover cable or something?

Thanks
May 17, 2007 at 5:38 PM
Hey, Hope this helps, Thanks to David V.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a netCF, Ethernet is by far the best way to go. Downloading the
nk.bin via serial is painfull even at 115200.
I would not even attempt it with any reasonable size image.
Serial download is ok for small things like upgrading/flashing the
bootloader.

The setting for CF download is for an external Ethernet CF card in the CF
slot (SocketCom low power CF ethernet card).
You should be using the "ETH1" setting as your primary download device, this
will use the LAN91XX controler on the netCF card.

For the hardware dword you probably want something like 0x00001259
400mhz XM Connex (+netCF and tweener)
USB function, CF, Eth1

If you select "Build image for flash" build option when you download it will
automatically flash image when download finishes. If you leave it un-checked
for build it will download to RAM (probably what you want to do for
testing).

I use a second NIC card in my PC with a static IP address set at
192.168.0.1. On gumstix I set IP to 192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
I then use a direct crossover Ethernet cable (NOT patch cable). I found this
works best for me.
You can go through router and use DHCP, just more things to worry about and
set up.

When you start download if everything initializes ok you should see "BOOTME"
messages on the terminal screen along with a device ID.

From PB you can do target->connectivity options. Select download settings.
You should see the device ID populated in the selection textbox.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 17, 2007 at 5:39 PM
Also, try using eShell.exe to upload the NK.bin rather than using Platform Builder
May 18, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Edited May 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM
I think something is messed up with my Connex or the version 3.2 bootloader. It uses the etherstix, which I am not sure is the same chip as the netCF. I would guess it is. Anyway, I just ordered the Verdex and the netCF module (in the mail), which I needed anyway for USB host support. That said, here is a summary of my problems with the connex, etherstix, and cfstix:

Using FFUART, it kept giving checksum errors on download. I did successfully upgrade the version of weboot a few weeks ago to 3.2, but since then it has not done serial correctly. I'm not sure if this was due to low power, interference, or software. If I have problems with the Verdex, I will get a higher wattage AC adapter. I have a rigged PC power supply which I am already using for LCD backlights that would provide more than enough power. I can't even reload uboot due to the checksum issues.

I couldn't use the CF module to load eboot into flash. I first loaded ebootweboot by renaming it to NK.bin on the CF card. That worked. I then repeated the procedure to load the RAM resident eboot, which also seemed to work. When I again repeated this procedure with the ebootin_flash binary, it hung and never loaded. I know I waited long enough.

For ethernet, I was able to discover and connect to the gumstix after buying a crossover cable and using eshell. It successfully got the bootme and listed the gumstix. When I tried to send the NK.bin, it kept getting "ACK not received" errors and the gumstix was still throwing out the "SENDING BOOTME to 255.255.255.255" message, albeit not as often. I then successfully discovered the gumstix in platform builder using a similar approach but it also hung during the connection. I am using Windows Vista and have created a network bridge between my wireless and ethernet, if this has anything to do with the problem. I unblocked eshell and platform builder/VS 2005 in the firewall, which I will try turning off completely, but I am pretty sure it won't matter.

If you have any suggestions, or can see something completely off in my approaches, let me know. I appreciated your help. And if there are docs on how to completely reload the gumstix sofware (using JTAG?) let me know. I don't mind creating an adapter. Do you guys have to ever reload everything like this?